Fluid coupling type TPK
TPK fill-controlled fluid couplings are mainly used in drives for shredders and fans. The fill level of the coupling can be controlled. This allows load-free motor run-up and controlling of the torque. Thanks to the hydrodynamic principle, the fluid coupling dampens torsional vibrations and torque shocks. This protects your drive and increases the productivity of your equipment.
The heat capacity of the TPK fluid coupling is very high thanks to the active cooling. A smoother start up and acceleration over a longer period of the driven machine are therefore possible.
The fluid coupling is also available with two axially-arranged working circuits
(type DTPK). The parallel working circuits double the power transmission.
With the (D)TPKW the operating medium is water. This coupling is particularly suitable for use in potentially explosive areas.
Voith Turbo GmbH & Co. KG
74564 Crailsheim, Germany
Sales, Technical Consulting, Quotations
Tel. +49 7951 32-409
Fax +49 7951 32-213
Service, Spare parts, Repair
Tel. +49 7951 32-1020
Fax +49 7951 32-554
Emergency Helpline (after hours)
+49 7951 32-599
Benefits and uses
- Load-free motor run-up
- Smooth start-up of driven machine
- Protects the drive in case of an overload
- Dampens torsional vibration in the drive
- Accelerates heavy masses
- Protects system components - the service life of your system increases
- Robust and unsusceptible to environmental influences
- Wear-free power transmission - reduces maintenance and repairs
- Automatic load sharing in multi-motor drives protects your motor against overload
- Sequential startup of the motors reduces the load on the supply circuit
Typical fields of use
Dimensions in mm
Hydrodynamic couplings transmit mechanical power from the motor to the driven machine via a flow of fluid. This occurs by means of two bladed wheels positioned face to face. The primary wheel (red) is connected with the motor and acts like a rotary pump, the secondary wheel (blue) is connected to the driven machine and acts like a turbine. Power transmission is proportional to the fill level in the working circuit. As a result of the mechanical separation of the drive and driven sides, the hydrodynamic couplings transfer the power wear-free and dampen the torsional vibration and torque shocks in the drive chain at the same time.
With fill-controlled couplings, a control device continuously changes the transmission behaviour. This is carried out by changing the filling level and is made possible by controlling the flow of the operating fluid supply and draining using valves.
Fill-controlled couplings have an external fluid circuit that is also used for cooling. This is why these couplings have a very high thermal capacity that makes longer start up procedures with high loads possible. This increases the productivity and reliability of your system.
When starting, fill-controlled couplings are completely empty thus enabling a load-free motor run-up. This relieves and protects the motor and electric network.
Voith doesn't just supply couplings, we are also your engineering partner for customer-specific drive solutions:
- Designing of complete drives
- Dimensioning the coupling for the optimal use of your system
- Analysis and optimization of the operating state of drives in existing systems (retrofit)
- We can advise you about the selection of optimal start-up technologies
- Competence in systems for all mining equipment and the bulk material industry