Two new powerful fireboats with Voith propulsion technology for Long Beach
The vessels are currently being built by the Foss Maritime shipyard in Seattle. Delivery to the Long Beach port authority is scheduled for spring 2014 and autumn 2014 respectively.
Both vessels have an overall length of approx. 108 feet, a beam of 35 feet and a draft of 14 feet. They are designed for an operating speed of 13 knots. The design is based on the Voith Water Tractor principle and has proven its worth in the Port of Los Angeles. The fireboats will be equipped with two Voith Schneider Propellers VSP 26GII/165 AE45 each in the forward half of the vessel. The relatively short VSP blade length of 5.4 feet makes it possible for the fireboats to enter shallow areas of the port without compromising maneuvering safety. The vessels can therefore also support onshore firefighting.
For each fireboat, the Voith scope of supply includes not only two VSP but also two 866 DTL Voith turbo couplings as well as a twin control stand unit. Its positioning in the wheelhouse is such that the captain and crew benefit from a 360 degree panorama view. Two diesel engines, each with a power of 1,350 kW, drive the VSP.
Two of the total of four fire pumps are driven by the diesel engines which supply propulsion power to the VSP. When fighting a fire, the VSP propulsion power is limited to approximately 25%; the remaining 75% is available to the fire pumps as pumping power. This allows the fireboats to be positioned fuel-efficiently using the VSP while at the same time increasing the vessels' pumping power without requiring additional engines. As the VSP pitch can be altered, the fireboats can operate efficiently and safely under all operating conditions.
The Port of Long Beach is the second largest port in the USA. Every year innumerable container vessels with goods in excess of 100 billion US dollars are unloaded here. The main imports include not only electronic devices, furniture and clothes but first and foremost crude oil. The main export items are refined mineral oil and chemicals.
Voith Turbo, the specialist for hydrodynamic drive, coupling and braking systems for road, rail and industrial applications, as well as for ship propulsion systems, is a Group Division of Voith GmbH.
Voith sets standards in the markets energy, oil & gas, paper, raw materials and transportation & automotive. Founded in 1867, Voith employs more than 42,000 people, generates €5.7 billion in sales, operates in over 50 countries around the world and is today one of the biggest family-owned companies in Europe.