The CH Series is the standard for high and maximum torques. CH universal joint shafts are individually designed, that is, they are built to customer specifications. They precisely meet the requirements of the drive. Flanges and flange yokes are available in a very wide range of designs and materials.
Ensuring low life cycle costs and high operational reliability were the main focus in developing this series. We were able to achieve this using a special bearing concept based on experience of the design of high-performance universal joint shafts spanning several decades.
Our engineers will design a complete drive solution just for you. This means you get engineering and products from a single source: Universal joint shafts, connection components and shaft support systems. This saves time and money when building your machine or system.
|Torques with a single load MZ||up to 19,440 kNm|
|Torques with a reversing load MDW||up to 11,910 kNm|
|Deflection angle||up to 15°|
|Rotation diameter of the joints||350 mm – 1,400 mm|
Voith Turbo GmbH & Co. KG
Universal Joint Shafts (amg)
89522 Heidenheim, Germany
Tel. +49 7321 37-8283
Fax +49 7321 37-7106
Advantages and benefits
- The universal joint shaft has a very flexible design. Flanges and flange yokes are available in a very wide range of designs and materials. You get a product with the best possible balance between performance, reliability and cost.
- Torque capacity is high even at large deflection angles. The capability of all components of the universal joint shaft is optimized to withstand high static and dynamic loads. The bearing eyes are closed, journal crosses are drop forged, and the roller bearings exhibit the highest load carrying capacity. Your universal joint shaft is operationally reliable, less sensitive to vibration stress and is designed to have long lifetime. This reduces the life cycle costs of your machine or system. Less downtime increases productivity.
- Universal joints with roller bearings improve efficiency. Energy consumption is reduced, so you save money and protect the environment with lower CO2 emissions.
- Radial and axial bearings are combined to a single unit (cassette bearings). The roller bearings can be replaced individually and the journal crosses can be reused several times. This saves you maintenance costs.
- The universal joint shaft has a low-maintenance design. Your maintenance and operating costs are reduced.
- The length compensation has a low-backlash, wear-resistant SAE profile. As a result, axial forces stay low and you save on bearing costs.
- Depending on the operating speed, the universal joint shaft is balanced dynamically in two planes. Your machine runs very smoothly. The lifetime of the drive increases and noise emissions are reduced.
- Rolling mills
- Straightening machines
- Paper machinery
- Roller presses
- Test rigs
- Mining machinery
- Special machines
A universal joint shaft transmits the power factors of torque and speed from the shaft of a driving machine to the shaft of a driven machine.
Using a universal joint shaft makes sense, for example, under these drive-system circumstances:
- The shafts are offset
- The shafts do not align
- Power is transmitted over a greater distance
- Direct coupling of the driving machine and the driven machine is not possible due to space or other environmental factors
- The drive configuration requires length compensation
Design and function
A universal joint shaft is theoretically the connection of two universal joints (G1 and G2) in series with one another. In practice, synchronous rotation of the input shaft and output shaft is the goal. This is the case if the following three conditions are met:
All of the shaft components of the universal joint shaft are located in one plane
Both yokes of the center section of the shaft are located in one plane
The deflection angles of both joints are equal
Advantages over spindles
Voith universal joint shafts are fitted with sealed, low-friction roller bearings. These offer major advantages compared to slipper and gear-type spindles:
- Power loss is lower
- Consumption of lubricant is less
- The environment is not contaminated by lubricants
- Maintenance costs are lower
- The life cycle costs of the drive are lower