Rings with Hirth coupling are primarily used to position rotationally symmetrical components in the machine tool industry and in general mechanical engineering. It is also possible to use Hirth rings as connection components. Rings can be made from almost any metal and from many plastics.
We manufacture both customer-specific Hirth rings and standard Hirth rings. The preferred sizes of the standard rings are always available from stock. We manufacture customer-specific Hirth rings up to a diameter of 1,600 mm with up to 720 gear teeth. Standard rings are available with diameters of 50 to 900 mm and with between 12 and 720 gear teeth.
The indexing accuracy of Voith Hirth rings is ±2 angle seconds or better. This enables you to position your workpieces or products with positive locking and with highest precision. You can then produce parts to the highest quality standards and achieve maximum productivity levels.
From the very outset of your product development, you have a reliable partner with professional expertise in the design and manufacture of Hirth couplings. That saves you a great deal of time and money during product development and during later stages of production.
Voith GmbH & Co. KGaA
Hirth Couplings (tomhh)
89522 Heidenheim, Germany
Tel. +49 7321 37-4602
Fax + 49 7321 37-9714
|Diameter||20 to 1,600 mm|
|Number of gear teeth||12 to 720|
|Indexing accuracy||1 – 2 angle seconds|
|Repeat accuracy||< 0.001 mm|
|Radial and axial run-out||< 0.01 mm|
Advantages and benefits
- The high degree of indexing accuracy and repeat accuracy make Voith Hirth rings an ideal positioning element – for example, in the machine tool industry and in general mechanical engineering. This enables you to position your workpieces or products with positive locking and with highest precision. You can then produce parts to the highest quality standards and achieve maximum productivity levels.
- With a Hirth coupling, you have an easy release connection and positioning component. Assembly and disassembly are quick and easy. That lets you save time and money when assembling your machine and again later during maintenance, repair and service work.
- During assembly, the components are self-centering. You save the cost of additional centering elements.
- The disassembly of the coupling requires only minimal space – just enough clearance for the tooth height. That simplifies maintenance and repair and reduces costs.
- We use specially developed processes to mill and harden the gear teeth. The Voith Hirth coupling has a very long service life and is maintenance-free. This reduces the life cycle costs of your machine.
- The Voith Hirth coupling offers zero backlash and a high torque capacity. This allows very high torques to be transmitted by relatively small diameters. Thus you save on valuable installation space in your designs.
- We offer you a comprehensive range of 'all-round' services: Design consultation, calculation, production and quality assurance – all from a single source. You are guaranteed an expert partner in all matters relating to Hirth couplings.
- Rotary indexing tables, turret heads and disk turrets in machine tools
- Connections in metrology, robot technology and medical technology
- Connections in aerospace technology
- Shafts, wheels and rotors in gear units, pumps, fans, compressors and turbines
The Hirth coupling is a machined face gear coupling with radial serration. Transmitted torque is proportional to the circumferential force. The angular surfaces of the teeth transmit a large portion of the circumferential force with positive locking. Tensioning media, such as, disk springs, hydrocylinders or screw connections, apply the required axial force.
The coupling saves available space and weight. It transmits high torques and simultaneously centers the faces. The design of the connection coupling is backlash-free and suitable for changing forces.