Adaptive Inner Housing
The BHS AeroMaXX can be installed in a new gear unit or provided as a simple upgrade. The technology consists of an inner housing for the gear set, which fits in the gear unit housing. This is a purely passive mechanical solution and does not need any additional units.
The BHS AeroMaXX technology will increase the efficiency of your system while reducing your oil requirement.
Simple Visual Inspection of Gears
After installation of the inner housing, a visual inspection of the gears is still possible at any time.
This means that you can visually inspect the gears as quickly as usual without removing the upper section of the gear unit or the inner housing.
Apart from the inner housing, the BHS AeroMaXX technology consists of the optimized Voith BHS EcoMax bearings for the high-speed shaft.
The new BHS EcoMax allows you to reach a significant increase in efficiency, with a simultaneous decrease in oil consumption of 30%. Thus the operating conditions of the bearing and the associated product reliability remain unchanged.
Reduced Oil Consumption for Cooling
With the new BHS AeroMaXX technology, the overall oil consumption is reduced by more than 30%. Around 90% of the used oil effectively dissipates the generated heat over the surface of the windage inner housing. This oil is introduced to the front of the steel housing via oil nozzles and drains off. Losses from turbulence are reduced to a minimum.
Efficiency meets Reliability
The BHS AeroMaXX technology from Voith is a clever but simple and, most importantly, reliable solution that considerably increases the efficiency on the one hand and reduces oil consumption on the other hand. It was possible to reduce both the power loss and the previous lubrication and cooling oil volume by 30%. In each case, two components are equally important with respect to this considerable energy gain:
Optimized sleeve bearings on the pinion shaft:
In addition to the inner housing, BHS AeroMaXX technology comprises the Voith optimized BHS EcoMax bearing for the high-speed shaft. The basis of the BHS EcoMax sleeve bearing is formed by the specially-contoured offset sleeve bearings. Their running geometry and physical properties have been modified to obtain improved sliding behavior with reduced oil volume.
An inner housing encapsulated from the gear set:
The BHS AeroMaXX technology is distinguished by its modular inner housing that fits optimally into the gear unit housing. The steel-welded inner housing fits closely to the gear set and effects a separation between the absolutely-required lubrication oil volume and dissipation of the generated thermal energy. The low volume of lubrication oil reduces the windage losses due to the swirled oil-air mixture and as a result of oil squeezing in the gear mesh. The cooling oil volume that is applied to the external surface of the BHS AeroMaXX inner housing dissipates the heat transferred to the bottom of the gear unit in a controlled manner.
The savings potential is considerable, starting at a pitch line velocity of approximately 120 m/s and grows exponentially with increasing speed. Furthermore, it is possible to implement both components separately from one another.
Advantages and Benefits
The equipment of a turbo gear unit with BHS AeroMaXX technology increases your driveline efficiency and considerably reduces oil consumption. It offers
- increased efficiency up to 30%.
- a reduction in the overall oil consumption of a turbo gear unit by up to 30%. The oil system can therefore be smaller. This substantially reduces costs for procurement, treatment and disposal of the oil. The operating efficiency of the system is increased.
- a constant operational characteristic of the turbo gear unit, noise and temperature values tend to improve. This ensures reliability.
- performance improvement without additional instrumentation. Amortization is attained more quickly.
- retrofit option for any manufacturer, even on-site within a short period of time.
- reduction in CO2 emissions.
- The improved bearings can simply replace the existing ones.
- They are produced individually for the specific application and offer the greatest effect with an increase in efficiency and reduced oil consumption.
- Can be tested under load conditions on your own bearing test rig before installation.
- The stiff and resistant to flex mechanical solution does not make contact and guarantees high reliability.
- The inner housing merely comprises two parts (upper part and lower part). The lower part is connected to the upper part with pins and bolts, which ensures precise, secure and rapid assembly.
- Being fixed in position in the gear unit housing split joint ensures fast access as well as rapid assembly and disassembly.
- A permanent inspection opening in the inner housing allows fast visual inspection without disassembly.
- The low additional weight of approx. 2% of the gear unit allows utilization in weight-critical applications.
- The inner housing allows oil drainage in both directions without additional installation.
Utilization of the BHS AeroMaXX with a gas turbine for a power station with identical fuel consumption
54,000 kW power output
8,000 operating hours p.a.
Energy cost 0.05 EUR/ kWh
Saving in energy costs per year:
8,000 hours x 0.05 EUR/ kWh x 250 kW = 100,000 EUR
This calculation supports amortization within one year.
See how much you could save
Enter your information and check if you can increase your plant efficiency with a retrofit or new equipment.
In general, the BHS AeroMaXX technology is suitable for use in applications with turbo parallel shaft gear units where high pitch line velocities occur in conjunction with medium and high power outputs. These include, for example:
- Gas turbines on generators
- Gas turbines on compressors
- Steam turbines on generators
- Electric motors on compressors