The S Series is the basic version of Voith universal joint shafts. It has been designed for small- to medium-sized drives. The connection flanges are friction flanges.
In building the S universal joint shafts, we use high-strength tempered and case-hardened steels that assure a very good capability to withstand static and dynamic loads. The universal joint shafts have high torque capacity combined with optimal bending and torsion rigidity.
Our experts choose the universal joint shaft that precisely matches your application. We don't just consider the load data of the universal joint shaft, we also look at the resonance ranges that are critical for flexure and torsion. Your universal joint shaft is operationally reliable and has a long lifetime. Low maintenance costs further improve the life cycle costs of your machine or system.
If necessary, we can adapt the design layout of our universal joint shafts to your drive and operating conditions.
|Torques with a single load MZ||up to 35 kNm|
|Torques with a reversing load MDW||up to 11 kNm|
|Deflection angle||up to 35°|
|Rotation diameter of the joints||52 mm – 204 mm|
Voith Turbo GmbH & Co. KG
Universal Joint Shafts (amg)
89522 Heidenheim, Germany
Tel. +49 7321 37-8283
Fax +49 7321 37-7106
Advantages and benefits
- Torque capacity is high even at large deflection angles. The capability of all components of the universal joint shaft is optimized to withstand high static and dynamic loads. The bearing eyes are closed, journal crosses are drop forged, and the roller bearings exhibit the highest load carrying capacity. Your universal joint shaft is operationally reliable, less sensitive to vibration stress and is designed to have long lifetime. This reduces the life cycle costs of your machine or system. Less downtime increases productivity.
- Universal joints with roller bearings improve efficiency. Energy consumption is reduced, so you save money and protect the environment with lower CO2 emissions.
- Depending on the operating speed, the universal joint shaft is balanced dynamically in two planes. Your machine runs very smoothly. The lifetime of the drive increases and noise emissions are reduced.
- The universal joint shaft has a low-maintenance design. Your maintenance and operating costs are reduced.
- Rolling mills
- Straightening machines
- Paper machinery
- Rail vehicle drives
- Roller presses
- Ship propulsion systems
- Test rigs
- Mining machinery
- Construction machinery and cranes
- General mechanical engineering
- Special machines
A universal joint shaft transmits the power factors of torque and speed from the shaft of a driving machine to the shaft of a driven machine.
Using a universal joint shaft makes sense, for example, under these drive-system circumstances:
- The shafts are offset
- The shafts do not align
- Power is transmitted over a greater distance
- Direct coupling of the driving machine and the driven machine is not possible due to space or other environmental factors
- The drive configuration requires length compensation
Design and function
A universal joint shaft is theoretically the connection of two universal joints (G1 and G2) in series with one another. In practice, synchronous rotation of the input shaft and output shaft is the goal. This is the case if the following three conditions are met:
All of the shaft components of the universal joint shaft are located in one plane
Both yokes of the center section of the shaft are located in one plane
The deflection angles of both joints are equal
Advantages over spindles
Voith universal joint shafts are fitted with sealed, low-friction roller bearings. These offer major advantages compared to slipper and gear-type spindles:
- Power loss is lower
- Consumption of lubricant is less
- The environment is not contaminated by lubricants
- Maintenance costs are lower
- The life cycle costs of the drive are lower