700 bar hydrogen vessels for heavy duty trucks
We are shaping the future by industrializing and automating clean and fast production of type IV high-pressure H2 tanks made with towpreg filament winding technology.
As an automotive supplier, we bring to the table over 10 years of composites experience in high-volume production, which we are now using to develop and mass-produce 700 bar type IV hydrogen storage systems. Our towpregs have a high filament count and are pre-impregnated with an optimal quantity of resin.
Carbon fiber composites for high-pressure hydrogen tanks
Leveraging our experience and know-how in filament winding products, such as CFRP rolls for paper machines, we are building higher storage capacity tanks without compromising safety at high pressures. Not only do we have solid experience in the concept, design, and prototype building of complex automotive parts, but we’re also experts in series production. By enabling the best cost-performance ratio, Carbon4Tank is an ideal and sustainable solution for storing hydrogen, meeting automotive quality standards.
- Automotive quality standard - 10 years of experience in series production
- Towpregs - lower material consumption and higher process accuracy
- Fast, clean, and economical production
- Robust and flexible sealing concept - down to -60°C (-76° F)
- Subject to in-house and external safety tests CFRP material recycling concept - sustainability strategy since 2012
- Lighter than tanks manufactured by conventional wet filament winding
- Industrialized production process - Composites 4.0 experience
- Smart factory facilities - digital quality control, data exchange, and traceability
- Certification according to UN ECE R134 in 2023 Available as a fully integrated solution with the Voith Plug & Drive H₂Storage System
Application - Voith Plug & Drive H₂ Storage System
Making a major contribution to the decarbonization of heavy goods transport, the combined expertise of Voith Turbo and Voith Composites results in high-performing H₂ Storage Systems - complete systems for heavy-duty trucks from tank nozzle to fuel cell inlet. The Plug & Drive H₂ Storage System uses Carbon4Tank and focuses on deep customer integration, sustainability, and circularity over the product lifecycle.
The H₂ periphery consists of EC79/R134-certified valves and pressure regulators as well as the complete piping with all emergency functions, including leak and function tests prior to delivery. The tanks are installed vertically, which provides higher crash protection of the valves compared to other market vessel solutions.
Delivering industry-leading innovation
Voith Composites and V-Carbon partnered to develop the first sustainable closed-loop solution for CFRP materials for Hydrogen systems.
This partnership enables Voith Composites to obtain quality recycled carbon fiber and highly-aligned structural materials for a second life in H₂ tank applications, and provide V-Carbon with high-performance CFRP waste from H₂ tank production and end-of-life tanks.