Voith in St. Pölten
The history of Voith in St. Pölten dates back to 1903, when Voith established its first foreign subsidiary at this location in Lower Austria. Initially, paper machines, large grinding machines and turbines were manufactured in the same way as at the headquarters in Heidenheim before the production of hydrodynamic transmissions for land vehicles began in 1932. The site has a total area of 88,000 square meters of which 12,800 square meters are used for production and service. The Divisions Voith Digital Ventures, Voith Hydro and Voith Turbo operate in St. Pölten today.
As a full-line supplier for the equipment of hydropower plants, the product and service portfolio covers the entire life cycle of new and existing hydropower plants. Voith Hydro in St. Pölten focuses on applications in the areas of irrigation, cooling water and pumped storage. In addition to the associated pumps, hydraulic torque converters are also manufactured on site. In addition, the core components for turbines are produced at the site and generators, governors and control cabinets are assembled.
Voith Hydro in St. Pölten has been supporting and supplying customers in Austria, Eastern Europe, Russia, the CIS states and the Middle East for many decades. For optimum market coverage and proximity to customers, subsidiaries have been established in Russia, Romania, Turkey, Slovenia and Montenegro.
Voith in St. Georgen
The history of Voith in St. Georgen dates back to the year 1928, when the company was founded under the name Kössler as a repair workshop for machines and generators in Lower Austria. A short time later, the company began to build its own turbines and controllers for small hydropower plants and to expand its worldwide market position. Kössler has been a fully owned subsidiary of Voith since 2008. To effectively leverage the expertise of all European plants for projects and customers all over Europe, Kössler was integrated into the Small Hydro Division in 2020. Now, the company operates under the name Voith.
The competence center complements the small hydropower product segments of up to 15 MW. It combines turbine and model development, design and manufacturing expertise as well as comprehensive service capabilities for small hydropower plants under one roof and underpins all this with more than 90 years of experience in the field. In a total area of 8,311 square meters, of which 3,316 square meters are used for production, the employees at the St. Georgen location design and manufacture around 50 turbine systems every year. A large part of these turbines is supplied and installed in other European countries or overseas.