The Voith FlexPad
Intelligent Wear Protection
Resolving issues with smarter design
The Voith FlexPad Roll End Hub (REH) design greatly increases hub body operational life through a significant reduction in wear.
In steel mills work rolls are changed regularly. This requires some clearance between roll end hubs (REH) and work roll ends. The clearance leads to wear and continuously growing play, and finally to expensive downtime and remachining of roll end hub bodies. Voith has solved this problem by eliminating all metal to metal contact in REH-bodies. With selective load application and load distribution wear is evenly transferred into the FlexPad wear plates that are replaced according to scheduled maintenance cycles. FlexPad wear plate attachment bolts are located in a low-stress area of the hub. Compared to conventional REHs FlexPad prevents unscheduled downtime due to bolt breakages.
Contact with roll necks is via FlexPad metal wear plates embedded in the roll end hub body. These have an elastic compound material bonded to the plates on all surfaces contacting the REH body. The compound fully functions in an elastic range and so guarantees constantly stable positioning of the wear plates during load variations. The clearance between the roll neck and the REH remains constantly very tight during mill operations.
- Lifetime of REH several times longer compared to conventional design
- Failure-free operation due to avoidance of highly loaded bolt connections
- No expensive rework on REH body
- Reduction of dynamic effects in the whole driveline due to the damping character of the Flex–layer
- Constant low operating clearance
- Reduction of the operating cost
Design and maintenance features
- 100% compatible to the existing mechanical interfaces
- Customized for any roll neck geometry
- Quick and easy exchange of FlexPads wear plates
- Wear plate replacement while FlexPad REH installed with the roll stand (no need to dismantle the REH)